Farmers Lives Matter SA

Educator Killed, Two Injured in School Shooting at Ntabankulu Junior Secondary

A former teacher, who was out on bail for allegations of raping pupils at the school, returned to Ntabankulu Junior Secondary School on Wednesday, opening fire on educators in a staff meeting before turning the gun on himself, authorities have confirmed. The attack left one educator dead and two others seriously injured, sending the school into chaotic lockdown as pupils fled in terror.

The incident was confirmed by local ward councillor Mlungisi Dinwayo, who was at the scene. According to Dinwayo, the alleged perpetrator, a former employee of the school, arrived at the premises and began shooting at staff members who were gathered for a meeting.

“One educator died instantly, while others have been rushed to hospital in a serious condition,” Dinwayo stated. He also alleged that the gunman had previously been accused of raping school children at the institution.

Providing an official update, Lungisile Zanxa, Head of Communications for the Ntabankulu Local Municipality, confirmed the fatality and the critical condition of the two wounded victims.

“We are currently at Ntabankulu Junior Secondary School wherein one person has been confirmed to have passed away,” Zanxa said. “Two of them, the victims, are in critical condition and receiving assistance at the health centre.”

Zanxa described a scene of trauma and chaos, confirming that the gunman had illegally entered the school grounds. “He jumped over the fence somewhere behind the building and came into the staff room and started to open fire,” he stated. The spokesperson confirmed the former teacher was under a court interdict prohibiting him from visiting the school due to the serious allegations against him.

“He is a former employee that has since been out of the system due to these allegations of rape,” Zanxa said. “It is said that the perpetrator was currently out on bail and the case has been continuing. So this incident is taking place in the midst of that particular case.”

The shooting triggered panic among learners. Zanxa recounted, “Children ran out of school and went all over the town trying to stop cars, trying to receive assistance, trying to run for cover. It was a very chaotic situation.” He added that parents were still attempting to locate their children in the aftermath.

The alleged perpetrator was also removed from the scene by emergency services. His current condition is unknown. Police have cordoned off the school as a crime scene, and an investigation is underway to establish the full circumstances of the attack and the relationships between those involved.

The identity of the deceased educator has not yet been released, pending notification of family. This is a developing story.

 

Leave a Comment