Farmers Lives Matter SA

Bail Hearing Reveals Horrific Details in Mataffin Murder Case

Nelspruit, Mpumalanga – Chilling evidence of the brutal killing of 19-year-old Lusanda Mathabela was detailed in the Nelspruit Magistrate’s Court this week, as the state opposed bail for one of the accused.

Lungelo Sithole, 19, is applying for bail for his alleged role in the murder of Mathabela at her home in Mataffin, Mbombela, last year. His co-accused is Katlego Mokoena, the deceased’s ex-boyfriend. Both men were arrested late last year.

During his testimony on Wednesday, Sithole stated he intends to plead not guilty. While admitting he and Mokoena were found at the scene, he denied any part in the killing. He claimed the initial plan was only to accompany Mokoena to collect his clothes from the deceased.

The state’s case, however, paints a far more violent picture. Investigating Officer Detective Sergeant Pollan Mashiloane took the stand, describing a gruesome crime scene.

“She had multiple stabbing wounds all over her body. She was naked. There was a knife next to her body and broken pieces of bottles,” Mashiloane told the court.

The officer further revealed that DNA results are still pending, as investigators suspect Mathabela may have been raped before her death.

Prosecutors are firmly opposing Sithole’s release, citing the severity of the case and the risk of him absconding.

“I strongly believe that you will not stand trial. You will evade. You will be influenced by the nature of this case,” the state prosecutor argued. “As I’ve said, there might be possible charges of sexual assault that might be added.”

The bail application for Sithole has been postponed to Monday. Meanwhile, his co-accused, Katlego Mokoena, is scheduled to appear in court on the 26th of this month for his own bail application.

 

Leave a Comment