The newly elected leadership of the African National Congress (ANC) in Greater Johannesburg has forcefully rejected allegations of electoral misconduct, labelling a police operation that discovered ballot papers from a recent party conference at a Pretoria house as a politically motivated “Hollywood movie.”
The media briefing, held on January 26, 2026, followed a special regional executive committee (REC) meeting convened to address what it called “intensifying political attacks” aimed at undermining its authority. The REC is led by Regional Secretary Sasabon Manganye and the region’s first female chairperson, Loyiso Masuku, who was elected in a controversial conference in December 2025, defeating the incumbent Johannesburg Mayor, Dada Morero.
At the heart of the controversy are EMCA ballot papers, believed to be from that conference, which were seized by police in a raid broadcast live 24 hours prior to the briefing. The REC insists the conference and its outcomes are legitimate and constitutionally binding.
A Firm Defense and Accusations
Manganye, reading from a prepared statement, expressed “profound concern” at the silence of the Provincial Task Team (PTT) while “revolutionary forces” sought to “delegitimize the will of the branches.” He invoked a quote attributed to Lenin, warning that “a lie told often enough becomes the truth.”
The REC resolved that Mayor Dada Morero should continue as executive mayor for “stability, continuity and consolidation,” a decision it said was strategic. However, it strongly criticized the South African National Civic Organisation (SANCO), accusing it of making unsubstantiated allegations and publicly siding with Morero instead of engaging through proper alliance structures.
“The RC was taken aback… by the conduct of SANCO,” Manganye stated, asserting that Morero remains an ANC deployee accountable to the party.
Denial of Police Role in Internal Affairs
A central pillar of the REC’s argument was the assertion that internal ANC disputes must be resolved internally. Manganye emphasized that Rule 14 of the ANC constitution vests authority over electoral disputes exclusively with the party’s Electoral Commission and an independent elections agency.
“The ANC is not governed by the police, nor will it allow state institutions to be weaponized in factional battles,” he declared.
He detailed that the December conference was presided over by an electoral commission that included PTT deployees like Oscar Tafa and alliance representatives, and that an independent agency, chosen from three companies vetted by the national executive, managed the vote. This process, he argued, was “inclusive, credible and constitutionally sound.”
Response to Raid and Media Questions
When pressed by journalists, Manganye and other officials refused to comment on the specifics of the Pretoria raid, repeatedly stating it was a matter for national and provincial structures. He described the event sarcastically as a “well-directed” drama.
“You know, Hollywood happened in Pretoria,” he said, suggesting the raid was staged for media effect, noting the presence of ANC members and media at the scene. He also sent condolences to the family of the presiding officer from the conference, whose recent death had been linked by some to the controversy, but did not comment on those allegations.
On the critical question of why ballot papers were found at a private house, Manganye argued it was standard procedure for ballots to be stored by the independent elections agency, not at party offices.
“Ballot papers over time in the African National Congress are stored by the independent elections agency… There is nothing taboo with any ballots being with the elections agency anywhere,” he said.
Way Forward and Internal Process
The REC stated it would engage coalition partners to withdraw a looming motion of no confidence against Mayor Morero and, failing that, direct the ANC caucus to oppose it. It also mandated its officials to engage with SANCO and the PTT to defend the conference’s outcomes.
Manganye concluded that the REC, while awaiting the Electoral Commission’s investigation into any formal disputes, would not entertain calls for a rerun. “We are a legitimately elected structure,” he affirmed. “The irritation, poor performance and tolerance of dysfunction is over. We were mandated to act decisively.”
The briefing underscored deep fractures within the ANC’s Johannesburg structures, setting the stage for a protracted internal battle over the leadership of South Africa’s economic hub as the party prepares for future elections.