Executive Mayor John Mpe conducted an inspection of the Seshego water purification plant this week, following a spate of reported gastroenteritis cases that have sparked fear and anger among residents over the safety of municipal tap water.
The visit comes after numerous Seshego residents sought hospital treatment for symptoms including diarrhea and severe abdominal pain. Many directly attribute their illnesses to the water supplied by the Polokwane Municipality, describing it as visibly unclean.
“The water supplied to us is not safe and is making my family sick,” one resident stated. “Early in the morning when we need to use the water, it is often brown and dirty. Even when I boil the water, it does not improve.”
Another resident reported ongoing illness for weeks: “Whenever I drink the water, I experience severe stomach pains and diarrhea… The water has a very bad smell that is unbearable.”
Despite the widespread community concern, municipal and provincial health authorities have insisted rigorous testing shows the water supply is safe.
Municipal officials stated that preliminary tests from internal and external laboratories have found no link between the municipal water and the reported health issues. They confirmed a borehole with high turbidity had been decommissioned and a new purification plant is being installed.
Echoing this, a spokesperson for the Limpopo Department of Health released findings from an extensive investigation.
“The department has confirmed that it has found no link between municipal water supply and the reported cases,” the spokesperson said. “It further confirmed that there is no child death linked to gastroenteritis or waterborne diseases.”
The Health Department detailed that 122 patients presented at the Seshego Hospital with gastroenteritis symptoms between December 19 and 26. Of those, 26 were admitted and 96 were treated and discharged. Crucially, tests on ten stool samples for pathogens, including cholera-related organisms, all returned negative.
“All tested samples returned negative for waterborne pathogens and that water from the main municipal system was found to be compliant,” the spokesperson added.
Authorities expressed significant frustration, suggesting the reports had been exaggerated. The municipal spokesperson stated the allegations had “caused unnecessary panic among the public and were exploited for political gain.”
“We’re very much disturbed about the panic that this has caused… and we apologize for the inconvenience caused by wild, unfounded allegations that were made,” the spokesperson said. “Our residents must rest assured that the water in Polokwane remains drinkable.”
Mayor Mpe, who reportedly drank water from the tap at the Seshego plant during his visit, urged calm. He maintained that, following intensive tests, the water is safe for human consumption.
The situation remains tense in Seshego, with many residents, distrustful of the official assurances, continuing to rely on purchased bottled water for their daily needs.